Hello everyone, wishing all members a Happy and successful New Year! Welcome to the December newsletter!
The river continues to be fast flowing and very high, in some cases flooding up to the island boatsheds, also flooding on the mainland. Please continue to check river conditions and make yourselves aware of the club’s safety policy, which you will find on our website, before deciding to go out paddling in dangerous conditions.
Club Boats and Equipment
While using club boats, paddles and other equipment, please treat them with respect and store them correctly after your session. This also applies to gym equipment and paddling machines. As mentioned above, the boatsheds have recently been flooded and equipment has been damaged and, in some cases, floated away! It takes time to get replacements and repairs made and is becoming more and more expensive.
Club Night Kitchen
The Wednesday Night kitchen has reopened after the Christmas and New Year break with the good news that, after an inspection carried out by the Food Standards Authority, we have retained our 5* Food Hygiene rating. Thanks to our secretary, Eleanor McKinlay, for working closely with TWC to clean and tidy the kitchen and to be present at the inspection. Dinners will be advertised each week on the members Facebook page and via email. Please book in advance to be sure of a meal.
Both junior and senior parties were a great success and enjoyed by everyone. Many thanks to our junior reps, Flynn Holt and Edie King for organising and running the junior quiz and party and thanks to Matt Bowley and Dean Terry, aka Santa and his elf, for running the senior quiz. It was great to see a great mix of people taking part.
Dates for your Diaries – 2024
- Royal CC AGM – takes place on Wednesday 17th April, when we present the club finances and business and elect club officers.
- Royal Hasler Marathon – Sunday 16th June. All paddlers welcome to race to get maximum club points towards qualification for the final at Richmond CC later in the year. Anyone not racing, please consider volunteering for as much or as little time as you can spare on the day.
- Paul Gilbert Race – Wednesday 3rd July. An annual fancy dress event to commemorate the life of Paul Gilbert, a club member who was tragically drowned whilst training for the Devises to Westminster race.
- Royal Sprints – Saturday 20th July. Time trials and races over 500m (the length of Trowlock Island) and some fun races. Again, volunteers to help out will be welcomed with open arms!
- The Paddling Challenge – Saturday 12th October. The oldest canoe/kayak race in the world! Over a 10k course for the main race, this year is our 150th anniversary and we plan to make it special, so don’t miss it!
- Royal Awards Evening – Wednesday 16th October. We celebrate the achievements of the club and all members, junior and senior, with cups and awards for all classes.
- Royal 10@10 – Sunday 24th November. Part of the local winter series of K2 10k races.
- Christmas Parties – Saturday 7th December. A party for the juniors in the afternoon, followed by one for adults in the evening.
These events don’t take place without a fair amount of organisation beforehand and on the day. Please consider helping out, the more volunteers we have, the easier and smoother the running. Contact Eleanor, Tris Turner (Club Captain) or Jackie Williams (Club Treasurer) if you’re interested. Thank you.